Thursday, September 4, 2014

Fun on the Tundra!

     Before school started, some of us decided to go fishing and berry picking. Typically you will find blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, salmonberries, and cranberries on or near the tundra. Unfortunately the berry crop isn't that great this year because Alaska had a somewhat mild winter this past year (unlike the polar vortex we had in the lower 48). We did find some blueberries and blackberries and the cranberries were plenty but not quite ready yet. The blueberries are delicious! The blackberries are not like the ones I would find in Ohio, they look a lot like a blueberry but smaller and darker in color. We weren't as lucky with the fishing. :( The silver salmon were running, but no luck that day.



Heading out on the tundra.

     

The Eek River



Dirk getting ready for some fishing!


Meanwhile I was picking berries!
*I was eating more than I was saving :) *

     Many of the berries are considered "low-bush" growing. In other words they grow very close to the ground. The picture on the right shows what the blueberry looks like on the plant and the picture on the left shows blueberries and blackberries. The blackberries are the smaller darker colored berries. 


I got some really great shots of the scenery, including a good one of Ashley and her dog Misty!



There was a storm brewing off in the distance. 

     One bad thing about the tundra is the bugs. Nats and mosquitoes are everywhere. They were pretty bad that day so we didn't stay out too long. When winter sets in they will go away.

     We went back to our apartments and decided to make fresh akutaq (Eskimo Ice Cream!). We mixed crisco and sugar, mixed it with our fingers until it was smooth, then added the berries, mixed some more and ta-da! Akutaq!


Yummy!

     It was a fun little adventure. Just a taste of what is to come in the next year. 

     I just want to thank everyone that has been reading my blog and following my adventure. I hope everyone enjoys my stories and experiences. If you would like to receive updates you can subscribe to my blog via the "Follow by Email" box at the top right side of my page. Just enter your email, submit, and follow the instructions. You will receive an email every time I update. 

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment