Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Home for the Holidays!

     Happy New Year! I hope everyone had a great holiday. Mine was wonderful! I got to go home to Ohio and spend almost three weeks with my family and friends. It was quite an adventure to get home, I left the village Friday afternoon and didn't get to Ohio until Sunday night. We flew from Eek to Bethel on Friday and stayed the night in Bethel. In the morning we all went to the Saturday Market. It was really cool, many people are there selling things. There were a lot of handmade native crafts and I picked up some uniques gifts for my family. I bought ulus for my brothers, dad, and friend, I bought an ivory and jade bracelet for my aunt, a bone letter opener for my grandparents, baleen (the filter-feeding system inside the mouths of whales) earrings for my sister-in-law and best friend, miniature versions of traditional dance fans for my cousins, and pair of bone earrings for my cousin. I also had a pair of beaded earrings and a beaded sun catcher made for my mom and niece earlier in the year. I also brought back fresh salmon for my dad.

     We left Bethel on Saturday night and flew into Anchorage. This is where my journey home became interesting. I was supposed to fly into Seattle, then Los Angeles, and then into Columbus. Well when I got into Seattle we had plane trouble and our flight was delayed. I would have missed my connection in Los Angeles and the only way to get me home that day was to reroute me through Portland and Chicago into Dayton. I was a bit upset and just altogether exhausted, but after about 24 hours worth of airports and flying I finally made it to Dayton and into my very excited parents' embraces. They were very happy to see me and I was excited to see them.


Yay! Reunited at last!

     My bag wasn't so lucky. It took my original flight to Columbus, so early the next morning my dad drove to Columbus, got my bag, and brought it home before I even woke up. Best. Dad. Ever. After this little hiccup, the rest of my visit was smooth sailing.

     I was so excited to see all of my family and friends, but I was super excited to see my sweet little niece. She did not disappoint! I was greeted with shouts and a running leap of a hug that nearly knocked me over. She was so excited for me to be home she didn't want to let me out of her sight. The next morning she even made me breakfast in bed (with assistance from my mom) since I was recuperating from my travels.


Such a sweetie!

     I spent Christams with my family. Again, there were many excited welcome homes and hugs. I think my cousin and I hugged for like five minutes! She didn't want to let me go. Christmas was wonderful and everyone enjoyed their gifts. I mostly recieved money and gift cards, since they are the easiest to pack, but I also got clothes and some other odds and ends. I did as much as I could with my family and friends while I was home. We had a little get together at our house so some people could come and see me. My best friend was also VERY excited to see me after five months. I went to the movies several times, went to the Columbus Zoo with my family, went out to eat...A LOT, went snowboarding with my brother and dad, had a spa day with my cousin, went shopping, went out to celebrate the New Year with an old friend, and just spent time with the people I care about. It was an excelent visit and I had a wonderful time.


My cousin and I and my brother, niece, and her giant teddy bear she got for Christmas.


My cousin and I at the movies!



Snowboarding with my brother.


At the zoo, hanging with the tigers....rawrrr!


I saw the reindeer and thought "Yupp, I've had you in a stew!"




The two brown bears at our zoo came from Alaska!


Me with the cougar, had to get a pic with the school mascot.



My best friend and I, we were happy to see each other!



Dinner with some of my favorite people.


Bringing in the New Year with a good friend! Adobe Gila's!


Watching my niece race her four-wheeler, she was so cute.

     It was really nice getting to be home with my family and friends. I had missed them so much, but I was ready to head back to Eek for it is my home now too. And after spending five months with some pretty great people, well you start to miss them too after awhile. Then the adventure of getting back to Eek began. Everything went pretty smooth until we got to Anchorage. We were delayed there for a few hours because of the weather in Bethel and once we got to Bethel we were delayed for a night because they weren't flying out to the villages. But we all finally made it home on Sunday! Now I have the rest of the year to look forward to and the prospect of summer vacation ahead. I'm planning a few things for the summer....it should be great. A big thank you to all my family and friends for making my time in Ohio so enjoyable. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment