Thursday, October 16, 2014

Berry Pickin' and Fishin'

     One afternoon Ashley and I went cranberry picking with a couple of the high schoolers. We walked out on the tundra and around this big lake. We walked a good bit and I was quite tired by the time we started to head back. The thing about walking on the tundra is the ground is not solid (until it freezes) so its kind of similar to walking through sand or mud. And there is a lot of mud so you actually walk through that too. Lucky for me another student joined us and he had his four wheeler. Let's just say I didn't walk ALL the way back to the village. :)






I don't think I have ever seen water so calm in my life.




Ok, so one really cool thing is that a lot of the lakes and ponds can be pretty shallow, but they look really deep. We got down in this lake and walked out maybe 15-20 feet and it only went just past my ankles.


                                                         Our lovely guides! 


     Another day, Caitlyn and I, went for a walk to see Dirk, who was fishing on the river. I can not say enough about how beautiful it is out here. It is so nice and the scenery is amazing!


                                                          Caitlyn and Katja


All of Eek, well what you can see from the river.


                                           Dirk fishing.                                Katja is Dirk's dog.


She is such a cutie!




Ashley and Misty picking berries.




Trying my hand at fly fishing! It's a work in progress...

     I marvel at the beauty that surrounds me everyday. There has not been one day that I've regretted my decision to move to Alaska. Yes I miss my family and friends, but I absolutely love it here. I've created friendships with some really amazing people and I wouldn't trade this opportunity for the world.

2 comments:

  1. Amazing Pictures!
    So proud of you and your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Olivia!
    I am currently a graduate student at Main Campus Ohio University! I just about fell over when I heard of another fellow Bobcat being there as a first year! I am looking into moving and teaching special education in Alaska. Not sure where yet but would love to hear more about your experience if you have time to talk! My e-mail is gdoering20@gmail.com

    I would appreciate any information you may have and would be willing to share about your life there!

    Best,

    Gabrielle

    ReplyDelete